Tuesday, July 17, 2007

7/17/07 - better today

Last night after all my chores and various running-around, I went to see James at the hospital. It was about 8:20 when I got there, and he was alert, smiling, and had just eaten all of his dinner. I had picked up my dinner at Whole Paycheck (Whole Foods' more accurate nickname), but they didn't have any forks out. James and I shared my macaroni and cheese (big noodles, probably rigatoni) and ate them with our fingers. He turned down green beans, no surprise to anyone.

I can't believe how much better he is now that the Dilantin level is down. He was stiff-bodied, unable to walk or stand, talked at about three words a minute ("stuck needle" syndrome - "I, I, I, I, ... want, want, I want, I want, ..."). Now he is much more back to himself - cheery, smiling, joking with Dad, talking well (for him).

James is in a semi-private room with another male. For the first time in all these months, they told Mary she could not stay in the room with him. In the past, they asked the other patient if it was okay, and they always were gracious about it. This particular nursing supervisor was unwilling to do that. I think perhaps that was a blessing in disguise, because Mary went home and got a decent night's sleep. She left about 9.30, and I stayed until 10.00. James and I held hands, talked about why he has a feeding tube, talked about how he would be by himself that night, and he was fine. I turned off his light and TV and left a very happy and sleepy James in his cozy bed. (James had spent the night alone before, while Mary was in Austin for her niece's wedding. I just can't do that hospital thing with my sleep apnea and my general sensitivity to any lack of comfort. He did fine and was not at all upset, so no surprise that he did well last night.)

Now, if they can just find out what is causing these seizures and so many of them ... B

No comments: